Wednesday, June 24, 2009

I have decided to design my own homeschool curriculum...

after 5 years of using sonlight I feel I have a gift for putting together curriculum pretty well.

So I have decided to use Dr Quinn Medicine Woman as a spine to our American History study.


You may laugh or think I have really lost it and have been at the bar all night but let me just tell you in the season and a half we have watched we have touched on topics of:

* Woman's suffrage
* The Civil War
* Slavery
* racism
* The gold rush
* mining
* Union and big labor
* Indian relations
* General Custer
* Cheyenne Indians, Dog soldiers, & their culture
* The railroad
* The Flu epidemic
* Cattle drives
* KKK
* The orphan train
* western justice
** and the list goes on and on....

These are all topics we have and are covering in our actual "curriculum". And they have put a real face on the struggles and what life may have looked like in that period. Of course with a smokin hot mountain man named Sully to guide poor Dr Quinn and kiss her when she needed it ;)

This series has opened up alot of dialogue about this time period that I am sure we would never have discussed. The KKK episode was hard to watch and made me feel such anger and injustice. I know about racism but Maddy had not ever witnessed it in a dramatic form. It is one thing to read about it, but quite another to have it layed out in one of your favorite series.

It helps that Maddy loves it and that she will finish all school work and chores diligently so she can watch it every night. I love when the kids have currency!!

Well look at convention next year for my booth, Homeschooling with the Quinn method

3 comments:

Unknown said...

We'll buy it!

Oh--and by the way, you told me (I think) the wrong episode to avoid. We avoided the one only to have the scene that you described in the next one. Wyatt watched the whole thing before I realized what was going on! Luckily, I don't think it registered at all and the rest of the kids weren't anywhere around. I, on the other hand, had a heart attack!

Tiffany said...

I can't tell if you are serious or not on this one. You aren't really quitting Sonlight are you???

Leisa said...

No, we are diehard Sonlighters but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Dr Quinn!!