Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Happy Birthday Maddy


Maddy turned 10 today. I am going to steal from a friend and tell you a GOD story about Maddy. Mike and I had been married three years when we found out we were expecting Maddy. We had owned a small trucking company with 5 semi trucks at the time. We were in the middle of going under financially, we were losing the trucks, our home, and this baby was the absolute last thing we needed at the time. We were living in Atlanta, and so we packed up everyting in storage, and I went on the road with Mike for two months and we just worked non stop truck driving. Well because of my husbands effort and drive to support us we were able to wade through losing everything and rent a home in Eustis. Mike left again (I was 6 months pregnant) and ran non stop California and back loads for the next 2 months. When he came home in December (9months preggo, now) he gave up his last truck and went to work for a local truck driving company. Maddy came in January and everything was still tight but settling down. In March of that year Mike was hit head on by a semi truck and lost his left arm and ravaged his left leg. He lost 2 inches of bone in his femur. Worse than all of that was the brain injury he suffered. He literally could not communicate emotionally with anyone. He spent a month in ICU and another month at Florida South Brain Injury unit relearning everyday activities. Anyway the point to this story is that Maddy who seemed like the most ill timed baby ever , was God's amazing blessing to our family. Her sweet happy temperment was the healing balm for my and my husbands soul. She gave him a purpose to not only go on but to be the father and husband he was meant to be. He has never once regretted the loss of his arm, nor did he ever spend any time mourning what he did not have. I believe that without Maddy it would have been quite a different road. So God's timing is PERFECT, and oh what a blessing each child is...We love you MADDY

6 comments:

Steph C. said...

Gosh, that's a b eautiful story! Brings tears to my eyes!

Tiffany said...

It's your turn to make me cry. It's always great to hear the reminders that God's timing is perfect. I've never heard that whole story. Amazing. Maybe God let Maddy win the contests at Winn-Dixie EVERY WEEK too to help you and Mike heal.

Julie said...

Made me cry too! Happy Birthday Maddy!

Kirsten said...

Wow Leisa what a beautiful story. Made me cry too. (Love your blog! Thank you for inviting me!)

Melissa said...

Great God story!! Thanks for sharing!

5Gustos said...

Wow, Leisa. Thanks for sharing. It kind of puts things in perspective, doesn't it? I'll have to share my husband's major accident story sometime. Our hubby's have more in common than I realized (having trucking company's, auctions as a hobby, etc.)