I know that everyone has been waiting with bated breath for my review of my homemade laundry soap so here it goes.
I like it for loads that are not overly dirty. As many of you know I am married to the junk man. If there is grease, or gunk in a five mile radius it will be on his clothes. So with that kind of laundry challenge I washed his clothes for a full week to see how it would stand up against GAIN.
Well his clothes did not stink and most of the dirt came out, but it wasn't as clean or scented as I like.
It did a good job on my normal loads.
So in conclusion I will be using GAIN for Mikes laundry and my towels, and the homemade laundry soap for everything else.
Now, for line drying, which is what I have been using for about a month. I have decided that I must use fabric softner to the wash cycle.
And no matter what, jeans & towels need to be in the dryer. As I sit her typing I am in the crunchiest pair of jeans. And crunchy aint comfortable yall! So tell me is there a trick to making towels and jeans work well on the line.
And to all you pooh-poohers about saving money by line drying... My last power bill dropped 100.00. So hang out them undies!
Sunday, November 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
We dry everything on the line...I do my laundry around the weather.
As for making them soft, I use fabric softener in the washing machine and then air dry on the line. If they are too crunchy, toss them in the dryer for a fluff for 10 min. with a dryer sheet. That seems to help. On a positive note, crunchy towels seem to absorb more of the water.
I should have clarified, I toss them in the dryer after they are dry on the line to soften them up.
When we lived in TN and were young and in our first little house, we only owned a washer. There was a nice little coin laundry a few blocks from our house. I had no problem with hanging laundry out to dry in the spring and summer but in the winter...NO WAY! I washed everything and then took it down the street to dry in a dryer. But we had no children. Although it doesn't freeze here much, what do you do when it is really cold or overcast, rainy for several days? Do you also have indoor racks to dry on? I am almost convinced to give it a try but I worry about keeping up with the amount of laundry we have if I have to depend on the weather. I need some encouragement :)
I really like crunchy towels. I don't usually hang up dressier clothes like Mike's work clothes because they get too wrinkly and linty on the line (and I don't iron), but I hang everything else. I never use fabric softener or dryer sheets. If stuff is smelly from sitting in the washer too long, the line gets the smell out, or if it is going in the dryer I sprinkle some baking soda in there. I'm wearing some crunchy jammies right now!
Crunchy towel syndrome! I'm not a big fan of the crunchy clothes, but yes, we save big on our power bill doing this so it's hard to resist.
I have read that you can use vinegar in the rinse as a softener. Haven't tried it yet - give it a Google.
My mom line dries everything, Leisa...and she says that fabric softener is a must (in the washing machine, that is)...and she checks her laundry fairly regularly when it is out on the line...so, I'm wondering if it gets crunchy when overly dry?
FYI, I read somewhere that towels that have been washed w/out softener are much more absorbant than ones washed with...though, if it comes down to being crunchy or "brittle" even, I really prefer soft :o)
Heather
Post a Comment