Friday, November 21, 2008

From Thai to Tacos by way of Intercourse

Ok, so the title was a bit titillating, and naughty, and tricky! But I am not sorry, I must convey my culinary experiences that have been ongoing since I cracked my eyeballs open this morning.


And for all of you dirty minds, Intercourse is a sweet Amish town in the heart of Amish country, Pennsylvania! With that said I have been mushing and burping a ziploc bag for 10 days. I was promised that it was a remnant from some sweet pious Amish woman's kitchen and to not babysit, feed, and multiply this gift, why it's sacrilege I tell you!! And my middle child LOVES this treat. So once again when I cracked open my eyeballs I remembered, today is the day! Liv wants Amish bread for breakfast, I must mix the 15+ ingredients and get it into the oven... Well in order to bypass all the extra bags I had the genius idea to bake them all, except one because I told you it's sacrilege to break this chain!! So 6 loaves of bread later as in 2pm....


During this bake fest I made some bread, that is not rising like it should. This is twice this week that I have not had a successful bread outcome. Is it too cold to bake? hmmmm....

So in the midst, I decided that I had all the ingredients to make Chicken Curry. My friend said this was a fave amongst her family and that she had to double the recipe, that it was just that popular. Well my crew, not so much! I loved it, and though I tried every propaganda tool in my arsenal, they were not eating it. Well beside the 2 mandatory bites, where there was gagging, choking, eyes watering... Even Mike betrayed me, although he choked down half his plate before letting me know it was not to his standards. i.e. it wasn't fried, fried, or fried... Maybe I could fry some chicken curry, I will have to think on that! Oh, and I LOVED it, so I froze the rest for my lunch at a later date.

And for tonight it is TACO night, with a side of Pepcid AC. So now you know we have journeyed around the world inside my kitchen. By the way I have just finished cleaning from this bakeapolooza and it is 4:00.


Amish Friendship Starter
1 cup flour
1 cup lukewarm water
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/2 tsp yeast
place in a ziploc bag and mush & burp the bag each morning for the first 5 days

Day 6- add 1 cup flour, 1 cup milk, 1 cup of sugar and mush

Day 7-9 mush and burp

Day 10 Pour starter in a non metallic bowl and
add 1 cup sugar, 1 cup flour and one cup milk

Mix well and then pour 1 cup of batter into 4 ziploc bags which are your next starter bags.

Then use 1 cup for the foloowing recipe

Amish Friendship Bread Recipe
1 cup starter
2 cup flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1- (3-4oz) box instant vanilla pudding
3 lg eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla

Spray 2 loaf pans sprinkle with cinnamon sugar on the bottom of pan, fill pans top batter with cinnamon sugar and bake at 325 for 1 hour.


Chicken Curry
Saute:
4tbsp butter
1 apple chopped
1 medium yellow onion chopped
1 large carrot chopped
1/2 cup celery chopped
ADD
2 cups chicken stock
1 1/2 tbsp curry poweder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
when tender pour this into blender and puree, then pour back into skillet
ADD
1 tbsp flour tp thicken
ADD
2-3 cups of chicken
and serve over white rice...

5 comments:

Unknown said...

We had that Chicken Curry the other night. Daniel loves it, the others, not so much. David really likes it too! Sounds like a good-smelling day at the Freeman household!

oneblessedmamma said...

I LOVE curry, and my husband HATES it, so I'll happily come help you eat the leftovers :-).

Julie said...

You are so funny!

Tiffany said...

Sorry your kids didn't like the curry. What's wrong with them?
Catchy title, you are a nut!

Cheryl said...

I KNEW there was a starter recipe, just haven't looked it up yet, but I always feel like I'm giving up a chance to something wonderful when someone wants to give me starter but I don't take it 'cause I know I won't keep it going!