Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Courageous Heart of Irena Sendler by the Hallmark Channel


I have this recorded and will make copies for anyone who wants one. I watched this with Maddy and there was only one part at the end that was rough when they showed the Gestapo beating her feet. At then end the real Irena talks about how hard it was for the mothers to give up their children. This was a very good movie for the between phase. If they are not old enough to see the deathcamps, but can get a glimpse of this tragedy through a child's eyes. By no means is this watered down, but I watched it first and thought it was appropriate for a tweens understanding. Our book club had just finished Behind the Bedroom Wall and I think this movie helped put a greater perspective on the enormity of the holocaust.




And can you believe Al Gore won the Nobel Peace Prize compared to her? They were both nominated and he won??????????????????

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like a copy of this! Mike and I were watching but fell asleep since we were exhausted from a weekend full of guests.

Julie said...

I definitely want to watch it.

Randi Sue said...

Grace and I watched it. I agree that it is a good between stage movie. We went to the website and printed more info about her life and Grace has been devouring it. She wants to read more books about that time, so I suggested Number the Stars.

DebiH. said...

I would like to see this. Randi Sue, Hannah and I both read Number the Stars and she loved it. She read it straight through twice.

Leisa said...

I will burn copies and get them out over the weekend.

nrenick said...

I would love a copy too. I was heartbroken that I missed it. Thanks, Leisa!