I have virtually reached my mommy melt down phase. I have retreated to my bedroom to save the children from requiring DCF to pay a visit. This was our first day back to serious schooling since this school year has started. Maddy finally became conscious and rolled down the stairs about 8:30, to which then the TV got turned on. After making a no TV rule, we got through breakfast and Maddy out the the door for an orthodontist appointment. When she got back we started Sonlight Core 4 , and we were still at the table at 5:00. I finally told Maddy that any work left over was homework and I got up to cook dinner. How did I think that would absolve me of any more school work???
After working the comprehension sentences in Wordly Wise I thought I wanted to pull her hair out. A question, What did the Cherokee people like about their new language? Answer, They liked the new language. Argghhh! Yes there were 10 questions with just this much fluff in the answers. Now I am completely aggravated because she has moaned and complained this whole time, and I know she is capable of an intelligent answer. She has just rushed through so she could get done to play.
In the mean time I am cooking dinner, Liv is rollerskating in the house, a no-no, and Ethan has his big wheel riding it across my living room! Did I mention I have wood floors that cannot be refinished again?
Well by the end Maddy is crying, and asking me, "Do you like making kids cry?" Yes, I love it, my school day is not complete until there is wailing and knashing of teeth. Guess what? It may only be 6:30, but it's bedtime (yes, then the knashing of teeth happened!) Oh, and no school day would be complete without threatening to enroll her in the local public school, and the lecture on, "I could find a million other things to fill my day than fight with you about school." Like I could have a clean house, read some books, watch Oprah, sew, go shopping, talk on the phone with my friends...." BUT I choose to do 5th grade Grammar with YOU!
So how was your school day?
Monday, November 03, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
My school day was better than yours but not by much!
Hannah is also doing Wordly Wise and it's hard! Especially section E. We just finished lesson 4 and she's sort of getting the hang of it and doesn't give those short, stupid answers. She hates it though. To save her sanity and mine I split it up over 2 days. So, it takes us 6 days to finish a lesson.
Now for a little encouragement--hang in there. The first day back is always hard and kids will test our limits and see how serious we are. Every school day is hard with Joe but he's making progress. He actually wrote some numbers today without a total meltdown.
I hope your day tomorrow is better! I hope mine is too!
Every Monday feels like that to me :(
Hang in there!
haha - i luv it!!! I miss you very much!!!!! I can just see all the screaming and running around! You should right a book! :)
Oh my holy HOOCH! I have the same Wordly Wise showdown. My son that's Haitian learned in his previous home and school that if he played just a little bit dumb, they would hand him answers all day. He's a genius ... and he's a genius and figuring out just how much someone will help him.
His favorite is to just copy definitions from the word list as an answer. "Honey, it asked why you thought silk was valuable ... not the definition of the word 'motion,' but nice try!"
I'm sorry about your day! Sonlight is quite a load! Maybe you could leave some of it out? You know, like History or English? I mean, really, who needs to know all that stuff! :) Not funny, I know! Hope your today is better!
Sorry for the hard day, but I can definitely relate. It's comforting to know we're all in the same boat!
this was funny...i mean i can't help it, it just was...but I'm only laughing because I know what it's like to have those days. Oh well, at least you got a good post out of it. Starting back is never fun. I'm sure the week will get better, I mean could it really get worse? And think of it this way...you have spirited kids who like to have fun. That is very important in life, because when they grow up people will like them more for making them laugh than for telling them all the fun facts they learned in school (or didn't learn).
Sorry it was so bad...been there...done that. =(
We seem to have seasons like that. Then it gets better.
I have two who keep trying to roller skate in the house.
Post a Comment