ingredients
1 bar of laundry soap (Fels Naptha) or your favorite soap of choice (Ivory, homemade)
3/4 cup of Washing Soda
3/4 cup of Borax
*all of these items can be found at Publix on the laundry aisle
step 1- grate your bar of soap into a pot, then add six cups of water and heat until all of soap is dissolved. step 2- when soap is completely melted add 3/4 cup of Borax and Washing Soda
step 3- stir the mixture over heat until completely dissolved, during that time, add 4 cups of hot water to your bucket or jar. when the soap is all dissolved pour mixture into the glass jar with the water.
step 4- add a gallon and a half of cold water into the bucket/jar and stir to mix well. It is in a liquid form. Cover and it will set into a gel form. Use 1/2 - 1 cup of detergent per laundry load.
You can add a essential oil scent at the same time you add the borax and washing soda.
I will let you know how it compares to commercial detergent. I am a diehard Gain fan, so the standard is high.
This made about 3 gallons of detergent for about 1.50 for the whole batch!

8 comments:
Wow! How long did it take to make it?
It took about 30 minutes, and I was able to be cleaning the kitchen while doing it!
I'm looking forward to hear how it works, I just might try to make some!
geez. what's next? making butter?
Amelia,
You'll find out when you come down for Thanksgiving! You'll get to churn the butter ;)
Leisa, I have been making my own laundry soap also and I LOVE it! I am not going back, no way, no how. I am addicted!! There is no cooking involved in mine though. I think I will blog about it!!!
i have the essential oils if you want to scent it.
did you use items with no sodium laurel sulfate etc...?
amy w.
How has it turned out? I am eager to hear.
Post a Comment